I love pecan pie. I just seriously cannot make a from-scratch pie crust for the life of me though! It is on my bucket list however.
These might be even better than pecan pie. It has everything you need in a sweet treat. A crisp crust, a delicious sweet filling, and the pecans on top crisped nicely from baking.
If you are a pecan lover, this recipe is for you!
Ingredients for Crust:
- 1 C flour
- 1/4 C sugar
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 6 TBSP butter, cold, cut into small chunks
Directions for Crust:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Spray a 8×8 square baking pan with cooking spray
- Place aluminum foil across two of the sides and the bottom of the pan allowing 2 inches past the top of the pan on those two sides. Lightly spray aluminum foil.
- In a medium bowl, place flour, sugar, salt. Stir.
- Add butter and cut into dry ingredients using a pastry cutter. Cut until they resemble coarse crumbs.
- Gently pat mixture into prepared pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.
While crust is cooking, prepare the filling.
Ingredients for filling:
- 3 eggs
- 1/4 C honey
- 3/4 C DARK brown sugar, packed
- 3 TBSP butter, melted
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 1/2 C pecans, chopped
Directions for filling:
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs until combined.
- Add honey, brown sugar, butter, vanilla, and sea salt.
- Add pecans and gently stir to combine.
- When crust is done, gently pour into crust. Use a spatula to spread to corners.
- Place back into oven and bake for 25-27 minutes or until filling is set.
- Place pan on a cooling rack.
- When cooled, gently remove the bar from the pan using the aluminum foil to help you. You might need to use a knife around the edges first, and a spatula to help ensure the edges aren’t sticking.
- Cut up bars according to your desire.
**You may have noticed that I used “sea salt” in the filling and not in the crust. Sea salt lends itself to helping your natural flavors shine a bit more when making something sweet like this treat. Where as when making this crust, normal salt won’t overpower the flavor.
Have a great weekend! I am really excited because next week we are heading out of town! It’s been long overdue!